Monday, May 25, 2009

Start of a new growing season

I learned a lot last year on using the Autopots hydroponics system. One of the challenges I want to find a solution to is standing water in the pots after a heavy rain. The basins need a way to drain.

Yesterday, I went to the hardware store and picked up a spigot, but after looking at the depth of the basin, I don't think it's going to work. I'll have some time to figure this out while the plants are still small. I'll be able to remove the plants from the water basins for several weeks (until the plants get too big).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of the smart valves as well. the only thing I've found - and it's worked quite well is to simply cover the pot top with clipped on hydroponic grade plastic to keep as much of the rain out as possible. I also got very lucky with some of my gardens and situated them where they got sun but were sheltered from the rain.
Lorraine
http://www.magicherbgarden.com

Steve said...

I recently started growing a tomato plant in a 15 liter autopot. I am considering purchasing standard size autopots. How did the roots look in your pots at the end of the last growing season? Did it seem like a bigger pot would have been better? Thanks.

Samual said...

I found your Blog very useful.LED Grow Lights allow horticulturists to increase growth from indoor gardens while trimming down power expenditures and benefiting the earth’s environment all at the same time!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm interested in possibly doing some advertising on your blog. Can you please email me at: vanessareed@boamail.com.

Thanks!
Van

Unknown said...

Found your blog a rich source for hydroponics.

cfl grow light bulbs

Unknown said...

I swear by everything I learned from Best Hydroponics 101, it has everything I need to know from helping me choose a hydro system to troubleshooting when my plants are doing very good. It comes as a great online book and has been featured in a bunch of magazines! Here's the link:

http://6e62dqx05mn8ena3ms8uep8ken.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=HYDROPONICS101